Sonrise Preschool Lead Teacher
REPORTS TO: Sonrise Preschool Director
WORKS WITH: School Director, staff, students, and families.
KEY ROLE: The lead teacher is responsible for their classroom. This includes curriculum, classroom management, communication, and giving direction to an assistant teacher. The lead teacher oversees the classroom and the students. The lead teacher is also responsible for planning and implementing a program to teach young children while ensuring academic, social development and safety. The lead teacher will be respectful of students, parents, and their fellow staff members. In addition, the lead teacher will ensure that equipment and facilities are clean, safe, and well-maintained.
LEAD TEACHER ROLE IN MINISTRY: As Lead Teacher, this position serves to bring a spirit of excellence to the Sonrise Preschool through the following:
WORKS WITH THE DIRECTOR TO CULTIVATE AND MAINTAIN A DEVELOPMENTALLY APPROPRIATE PROGRAM FOR PRESCHOOL CHILDREN.
- Model God's unconditional love in respectful, nurturing of each unique child.
- Plan and implement all activities to meet the spiritual, physical, emotional, intellectual, and social needs of the children.
- Use effective teaching techniques, materials, and educational experiences to support instruction within curriculum guidelines.
- Plan and prepare daily lessons and activities according to curriculum guidelines.
- Develop culturally appropriate programs and activities.
- Work closely with teacher assistant for classroom management, class rules, discipline, and expectations for each child.
- Be familiar with emergency procedures.
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand.
- Detect signs of illness, injury, suspected or disclosed signs of child abuse, emotional disturbance, learning disorder, speech problem, or other special need and report these signs immediately to the Director for needed follow-up.
- Integrate special needs children in a positive and respectful manner.
THE CLASSROOM ENVIRONMENT:
- Create an atmosphere of Christian love, care and concern as well as an environment of respect and rapport.
- Provide a safe, secure, and healthy environment for children.
- Create an atmosphere that encourages self-control, good listening, proper safety habits, good manners, and social interactions.
- Provide a developmentally appropriate curriculum which includes a variety of hands-on experiences and activities for children including songs, games, and storytelling.
- Provide positive guidance.
- Ensure children are always supervised.
- Provide an environment that helps build children's self-esteem.
- Responsible for monthly newsletter, calendar, class website, end of year memory books, assessments, and communication with parents.
- Manages student behavior and implement positive discipline.
- Ensures class is always clean and organized and safe.
- Establishes routines and provides positive guidance.
- Take initiative and assume your fair share of the work.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships of respect with co-workers and Administration.
- Share and take ideas with co-workers.
- Communicate respectfully to resolve conflicts/avoid gossip.
- Assume additional school responsibilities as needed such as cleaning, organizing, working in other classrooms, etc.
INTERACTION AMONG STAFF, CHILDREN, AND FAMILIES:
- Interact respectfully and kindly with all staff, children, and families. Always be kind and speak in a friendly tone.
- Be flexible and supportive of new children and their families that are transitioning in your class.
- Practice Positive Discipline Procedures with the children in your class.
- Model appropriate behavior.
- Understand feelings of the children and families.
- Be responsive to children's needs and requests.
- Help orient new staff to classroom routines, schedules, curriculum practices and children and families.
- Acknowledge all families in the school (whether they are in your classroom or in the hallway).
- Share experiences that the child had in your care.
- Always respond to parents with respect, interest and sensitivity.
- Be confidential about family person issues.
- Discuss children's development with parents.
- Give clear directions to assistant teacher.
- Protect families by keeping personal information confidential.
- Keeps parents informed of program expectations, activities, and their child's progress.
- Be professional in all interactions with parents, students, and staff.
- Provide monthly calendars/lessons for parents so that they are informed of classroom activities, etc.
- Be available to attend required meetings and events.
- Support and promote all school activities.
- Schedule parent volunteers in the classroom.
- Attend at least 10 hours of Professional Training each year.
STAFF PAID TIME EXPECTATIONS:
- All Preschool Lead Teachers are paid hourly.
- Clock in 30 minutes before your class session starts and clock out 30 minutes after class ends.
- Lead Teachers receive 1 hour of paid prep time for each day they work in a week. This is averaged over the school year.
- Each Lead Teacher receives 10 hours of paid time to set up their classroom and 10 hours of paid time for clean up at the end of the year.
- All staff are paid for any time the director requires you to work at an event, attend a staff meeting, or parent conferences.
EDUCATION AND PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong and growing personal commitment to Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with the Mission and Beliefs of Sonrise Christian as listed in the “about us” section on the website https://www.isonrise.org/about/
- A love for working with children.
- Must attend church regularly and be active in church ministry.
- Must be 21 years old.
- Experience as a Lead Teacher in an Early Childhood Program.
- AA or BA in Early Childhood Education or related program.
- CPR and First Aid Trained.
Children's Pastor Assistant
HOURS: 20 hrs
- Recruit volunteers for children's ministry
- Prepping for teachers and lessons
- Includes implementing Planning Center
- Reminding teachers and volunteers of upcoming commitments
- Making sure they have materials that they need
- Cleaning downstairs and loft items
- Downstairs service coordinator for Sunday's and Wednesday's
- Assisting Children's Pastor with misc.
- Find a supervising sub so you can attend one service